From mall stores to family kitchens and from doctors’ offices to bathroom shower walls, back painted glass is being used in living spaces and commercial settings across the country. It is a user-friendly building material that is highly customizable and easy to care for.
How are these colored glass panels created?
Manufacturing quality back painted glass panels involves a multi-step process, specialized paint, and meticulous workmanship. Low iron glass is used because it allows the paint color to come through without the greenish discoloration present in standard glass. The sheets of ultra-clear glass are scrupulously cleaned so that no particle of dust or grime mars the finished look. Next, the appropriate type of paint is adhered to the second surface (back) of the glass, and it is heat cured in an oven. Then, a protective coating is applied on top of the paint, and the finished product is heated again. At this point the glass is ready to be installed. It is durable, uniformly colored, and free from VOC outgassing.
How are back painted glass panels used in residential and commercial spaces?
Back painted glass panels can be used to cover – and improve! – many vertical and horizontal surfaces in home and business settings. Popular residential applications include:
- A seamless (or nearly seamless) glass backsplash for the kitchen or bathroom.
- Glass shower wall panels.
- Colored glass wall panels.
- Custom table tops, bar tops, and kitchen island tops.
- Dry erase boards.
- Room dividers and bathroom privacy screens.
In offices and stores, back painted glass is used for:
- White boards in conference rooms and lobbies.
- Wall coverings and wall art.
- Custom table tops and desk tops.
- Bathroom stall dividers.
- Office partitions.
Can Back Painted Glass Be Customized?
One reason for the rising popularity of back painted glass is just how customizable it is. If you work with ABC Glass and Mirror, for instance, the glass panels can be tailored to your needs and preferences in the following ways:
- It is available in white, gray, and black and any custom color you want. When you provide us with paint color details, we can provide state of the art color matched glass.
- This glass can be custom fabricated to the appropriate dimensions for your project. A glazier will collect precise data using lasers, levels, and a measuring tape, so that the glass fits in the space, regardless of any irregularities that might be present.
- Cutouts can be included to allow for outlets and light switches.
- Depending on your taste preferences, your glass can be finished with a machine polished edge or a beveled edge that forms a delicate border.
- If the normal 1/4” thickness does not work, there are other thickness options such as 1/8”, 3/8” or 1/2”.
How is back painted glass installed?
Back painted glass panel installations are usually permanent because the back of the glass is adhered to the wall with glue. The glass also rests on a surface or a piece of metal tracking known as L-bar. Glaziers will attach the L-bar to the wall at the desired height. Next, the glue will be applied to the wall, and then the glass will be put in place. Since the glue does not dry instantly, glaziers are able to carefully adjust the glass so that it is flat and level.
A few different processes can be used to install back painted glass horizontally. These include simply setting the glass on an existing surface; gluing it to a surface; or attaching tempered back painted glass to a base with spacers and fasteners.
What is the process of ordering back painted glass from ABC Glass and Mirror?
Choosing ABC Glass and Mirror for your back painted glass company starts with a phone call to our office – (703)257-7150. One of our estimators will visit your residence or commercial space to discuss options and take the necessary measurements. Next, our office team will email you a price quote. After you order your glass panels, we will prepare everything needed for the installation. We will schedule our next visit to your location, and a trained team will put your glass in place.
How do I clean back painted glass?
Back painted glass is cleaned and cared for in the same way as mirror glass. One should clean it regularly, taking care to avoid scratching the surface or damaging the backing. Cleaning tips to keep in mind include:
- Avoid harsh or ammonia based cleaners.
- Spray glass cleaner on a paper towel or rag, not directly on the glass.
- Stay away from abrasive brushes or scrubbing pads.
- A single sided razor blade can be used to remove dried on food and the like.
Start the process with a phone call to ABC Glass and Mirror
Call us at (703)257-7150 to learn more about your back painted glass options and to discuss your specific needs with one of our glass specialists.